Over fifty bikes showed at the Wilkins Harley Davidson Bike Show on Saturday August 3rd. There were familiar favorites, like Cliff Crandall's Harley Davidson Sportster, but many new entries: like Richard Pitonyak's 1981 Yamaha Special and Brian Keating's 1947 Knucklehead. My favorites included bikes that did not complete, but were ridden in to see the show.
Crandall wanted to see how his Sportster would place in the Customs class this year, instead of the Sportster class he competed in last year. The bike placed second, behind his winning 2002 Borget Custom. Richard Grzywina placed third in the Custom class with his 1996 FXTV Custom Chopper.
Best in Show was won by Gordon Garvey's 2012 Street Glide. The Glide included an iPad in the dashboard.
Eric Flemming won the Harry J. Wilkins Award for Most Creatively Customized Harley Davidson for his 1963 Sportster. The Wilkins staff selects the winner of the award. It is the only award at the show that is not based on a vote of the people attending the show.
Not all of the extraordinary bikes were in the show. A 1959 Ariel Square Four, a late 40's Harley - complete with mouse trap - and a 40's era Harley with sidecar were just three of my favorites.
Here is a complete list of winners for each class:
Most Creatively Customized Harry J. Wilkins Award
1963 Sportster Eric Fleming
1. Robert Lurvey, HD FLHTCU
2. Gordon Garvey HD FLHX
3. Zach Blanchard HD FLHR
1. Brian Keating 1947 Knucklehead
2. Mike Lachapelle HD Flathead
3. Bruce MelvinHD FLHP
1. Michael Belizzi HD XL1200, 2000
2. Eric Fleming HD XL1200, 1963
3. Mark Santaw HD XLH 1973
1. Patrick Thompson HD FXDL
2. Michael King HD FXDX 2001
3. Jason Wark HD FXDWG
1. Heath Cook HD FLSTC 1991
2. Joyce Ford FLSTC 2003
3. Richard Pitonyak HD Springer 2005
1 Cliff Crandall Borget 2002
2. Cliff Crandall HD XL1200 1989
3. Richard Grzywina HD Custom Chopper FXTV 1996
1. Ken Alger, Honda Rune 2004
2. Phillip Laframdoise Suzuki 2003
3. Mike Fortier Kawasaki Vulcan 2005
1. Shane Holbrook HD Ultra Trike 2009
2. Ron and Deb Morse 2010 Ultra Trike
BEST IN SHOW
Gordon Garvey - 2012 Street Glide